Welcome to Advocates for Families of Children with Disabilities
Sometimes parents need a greater level of assistance than can be provided over the phone or through a workshop to understanding their child’s IEP and make sure it addresses all their child’s educational needs. The Advocates for Families of Children with Disabilities (AFC) program can provide this assistance.
How does AFC work?
- AFC is a fee for service program, payable on the day of service
- Families meet one on one with a staff member at the PIC office in Concord
- AFC staff cannot attend IEP or 504 meeting with families
What can AFC do to assist parents?
- Provide assistance in obtaining appropriate services through and in-depth review of evaluations, IEPs and other records
- Provide guidance in identifying needs, strategies, options and resources
- Help in planning for upcoming IEP or 504 meetings
- Provide strategies on letter writing and other documentation strategies
- Provide strategies on how to effectively communicate with your child’s school
- Assist families at special education mediation sessions